Provides global measurements of scalar quantities such as pH and species.
Global measurements of scalar quantities such as concentration and temperature.
Global species measurements in rapidly changing mixing, materials processing, heat/mass transfer, etc.
PLIF provides global concentration measurement of the species of interest while PIV obtains the velocity vector field.
Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF) Systems from TSI
The integrated PIV/PLIF system from TSI is a unique, on-line diagnostic tool that lets a TSI system simultaneously measure global scalar property fields (e.g., temperature, concentration) along with the two- or three-component velocity field.
A laser sheet illuminates the measurement region and the PIV camera captures Mie-scattered light to determine the velocity field. Fluorescence is collected on a dedicated PLIF data imaging camera. The relationship between fluorescence intensity and scalar properties obtained from calibration is used to convert the PLIF image field into the scalar quantity of interest.
Simultaneous PIV and PLIF measurements can be used to evaluate mass transfer rates, heat transfer rates, and mixing processes. Dynamic links to MATLAB® and Tecplot® software packages provide a higher level of capability and flexibility in data analysis and display. Other features of the integrated PIV/PLIF optical system package include a dual camera housing, complete software control of all hardware components, image processing, field alignment, just to name a few. For more information, please see the attached literature or contact a TSI representative.
Features and Benefits
- Measures flow velocity and global scalar property fields simultaneously
- Choice of different cameras for PIV and PLIF imaging
- Simultaneous or sequential PIV and PLIF measurements
- Use of INSIGHT™ 4G Data Acquisition, Analysis and Display Software affords maximum flexibility in data acquisition and display
- Unique, in-situ PLIF calibration process can be performed under actual experimental conditions
- Choice of lasers to match the application
- Combustion diagnostics
- Mass and heat flux measurements
- Contaminant transport
- Mixing processes
- Double pulse Nd:YAG laser (50 mJ/pulse standard, higher pulse energy available as upgrade option)
- Additional PLIF laser (required for PLIF measurements not using YAG harmonic)
- CCD camera for PIV with frame-straddling (specific model depends upon application; includes camera lens, all interface cables, camera frame grabber)
- CCD camera for PLIF (specific model depends upon application; includes camera lens, all interface cables, camera frame grabber)
- INSIGHT™ 3G-PIVLIF Data Acquisition, Analysis and Display Software Package with PLIF and PIV capabilities
- Light sheet optics (and optional Laser Light Arm)
- Optical filters (PIV filter, specific PLIF filter depends on species being measured)
- LaserPulse™ Synchronizer (Model 610035)
- All associated manuals
To request more information about TSI's Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) System, including a price quotation, a system demo and product literature, contact TSI today.
To learn more about PIV instrumentation and the many areas of research this system is involved in, attend TSI's Fluid Mechanics Webinar Series presented by our experts.