V3V™ System 8000 Series: Volumetric 3-Component Velocimetry
For the first time ever, it is now possible to measure the instantaneous velocity field within a truly volumetric region of the flow using the V3V™ system from TSI. Before V3V, the only methods of measuring the volumetric flow velocity utilized standard Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) techniques. These include scanning a 2D laser sheet through a volumetric region of the flow (which is not an instantaneous measurement) or using a “thick light sheet” (which is not truly a volumetric measurement since the thickness of the sheet is limited to less than 1 cm). But now, with V3V, the full 3-Dimensional 3-Component (3D3C) velocity field can be measured instantaneously.
The V3V system measures the displacement of tracer particles in the flow over a known amount of time to determine the local velocity. The measurement volume is illuminated by a cone of laser light. The laser emits two very short duration pulses of laser light, separated by a known and t.∆ adjustable amount of time, As the flow passes through the measurement volume, laser light is scattered from the tracer particles during each laser pulse. The V3V Camera System captures separate images of the scattered laser light from each of the respective laser pulses within the entire measurement volume. Using a patented 3-aperture imaging technique, the 3-dimensional positions of the particles are determined at each laser pulse.
Once the images are transferred to the computer system, patented and proprietary algorithms in the INSIGHT V3V 4G software are used to determine the complete 3D3C velocity field. First, the 3 dimensional particle positions are determined using information from all three camera apertures. The accuracy of the measured particle positions is less than 20 microns in the x-y plane and less than 80 microns in the z-direction. Unique particle tracking technology is implemented to determine displacement of the tracer t between the two laser pulses.∆ particles over the time Once the local velocities have been determined, advanced software tools allow interpolation onto a regular grid, as well as a full range of 3-dimensional graphics, plots, and movie generation. Higher order flow quantities, such as vorticity, can also be examined.
**Upgrade to the new V3V-9000: a new flexible camera arrangement, that uses three 4MPR cameras all of which can be removed from the new probe design* and used in any arrangement needed to meet a wide array of flow measurement applications!**
Features and Benefits
- Single camera operation simplifies measurements and improves accuracy
- Automatic Calibration
- Rapid Processing
- Unique processing algorithms have been theoretically and experimentally validated
- Integrated 3D graphics and display
- Wing tunnel flows
- Flow in mixing devices
- Propellor flows
- Flow through devices
- Flow in a model heart
- Internal flows
- Wave tanks
- Model V3V-8000 Camera Module
- Computer System
- Insight V3V 4G Software
- 200 MJ YAG Laser
Click here to watch a demo of the V3V System!
For a list of published papers using the V3V System, click here.
- MSDS for Fluorescent Microspheres, Dyed Microspheres (TSI PN 10070,-3,-4,-5)
- MSDS for Fluorescent Polymer Microspheres, Dyed Polymer Microspheres (TSI PN 10070, -1, -2)
- MSDS for Glass Oxide Coated with Silver, Metallic Coated Particles (TSI PN 10087)
- MSDS for Glass Oxide, Nylon Particles (TSI PN 10084)
- MSDS for Glass Oxide, Spherical Glass Powder (TSI PN 10089)
- MSDS Powder for Coated Metallic and Non-Metallic Surfaces (TSI PN 10090)
- MSDS Rhodamine 590 Chloride (TSI PN 10060-2)
- MSDS Rhodamine 610 Chloride (TSI PN 10060-1)